Saturday, November 18, 2006

Folk Fest Has Been Cancelled for 2007



Attendance was down and the Inter-cultural Association lost $200,000 on this year's event even with fantastic weather and some really great acts. There were countless complaints about the increase in ticket prices. What? Where else could you have seen Neko Case, Sam Roberts, Ozomatli, Mighty Popo, K'naan and an absolute gem of a find in the New Orleans' singer, John Boutte for twenty dollars?


Not to mention all the local performers and dancers. The local band, Jets Overhead opened for Sam Roberts and they were awesome. They completely owned the crowd which is not easy to do when you know most everyone has showed up to see Sam Roberts.

Now we have lost another festival and the tagline "The City of Festivals" is quickly losing any meaning based on reality. Sad day indeed.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

That sucks! I think they name every major city on a jazzfest/folkfest/comedyfest tour a 'city of festivals' though...
That would include Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver etc.
20 is a bargain.

Toccata said...

You're right on both counts. The thing with Victoria is it really doesn't fit and yet they love to call themselves that. It's on all the tourism brochures!

My sister spent time in your old stomping grounds last year and absolutely fell in love with Montreal. She had a grand time at the jazzfest.

Allison said...

Oh no, that is horrible news. You can't get anything for 20$ anymore, we need to support the arts more.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That is such a crime! And I agree $20 is a steal. At Calgary FOlk Fest you pay $40 for the day and that is at early bird prices. And I consider that to be a great bargain. There's nothing like a folk fest.

Did you ever see the episode of Going Coastal when Chris Nelson interviewed the guy from Jets Overhead in the shower?

Toccata said...

I agree with you 100 percent Allison. Our school system right now is fighting to keep the music programs in school. Music is a lifelong skill and should be encouraged and nurtured.

Barbara I have never been to Calgary's folk fest but I have been to Winnipeg's many, many times. It used to be a yearly trek. Folk fests are the best.

mellowlee said...

That is really sad! I don't understand some people.

Toccata said...

I don't understand people either Mellowlee. When Sam Roberts came here just on his own that single concert cost something like $56. We want art and culture but we don't want to pay for them.

668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

haha.. i don't think i would ever call vancouver a city of festivals.

that sucks. that seems so cheap to me.

Toccata said...

668, I'm always hearing jokes about Vancouver's lack of summer fun on the radio. I love Vancouver but as a "tourist" I spend all my time walking along your seawall and spending time in and around Granville Island.

Evelyne said...

20 dollars to see all those bands? What's wrong with people?
It sounds awesome!

Toccata said...

Now, I just need all of you guys to move to Victoria and we could probably have saved Folk fest!

Hey, Evelyne do you get down to the Jazz Fest in Montreal? I have always heard it's fantastic.