Saturday, November 11, 2006


"In Auschwitz" by H. Olomucka



Lest We Forget

Today's post is very long but it was written for my parents.

In remembrance of my family's history of involvement in the Military in World War I and II

On my mother's side:
My grandfather, John Hamilton Jones, volunteered in the Grenfell (Saskatchewan) Detatchment 217th Overseas. He was shipped overseas in 1916. He was in the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, and was wounded in action August 26, 1918. After time spent in hospitals in France, then England, he was sent back to Canada and spent another several months in the Veterans' Hospital in Moose Jaw. My grandfather had been badly gassed as well as having received wounds to his right knee. Shrapnel was permanently lodged in his knee and left him with a stiff leg. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion, branch #55. Sadly, I never met my grandfather and know him only through stories from family members.

My grandmother's brother, Murdock Alexander Clarke, when 17 years of age but pretending to be older, joined the Lord Strathcona Horse Regiment in Winnipeg in February 1917, going overseas in April. He went to France in November, 1917 and took part in the charge at Moriel Wood. His family received word that he was missing in action and later that he had died in France on April 1st, 1917. There is little doubt that Murdock did die at Moriel Wood, but as there was no real confirmation it was one more sad case of a family expecting their son and brother to one day walk through the door.


Along came the Second World War. My mother's cousin, Alexander Hamilton McDonald (named after my grandfather during World War I), joined the R.C.A.F. in 1940 and in 1941 went overseas as a fighter pilot. He flew a Spitfire fighter plan in the air battles over Britain and France. Sad history appeared to be repeating itself when Hammy was reported missing in action. There was great joy a few days later when it was found Hammy had been shot down in the English Channel but was rescued and soon back in action. Hammy later became a Senator and died on the Senate floor while delivering a speech.



My grandfather and grandmother Jones had two daughters, no sons. I do know that not one boy from my Aunt's graduating class returned home alive.



My father's side of the family:
My grandparents on my dad's side of the family were born and raised in the United States.



When the U.S. joined in World War I, my grandfather, Roy Hugh enlisted July 24, 1918. His service No. was 3.807.919 Company D, 129 Infantry. He was in the army but a month before being sent overseas. He was promoted from Private to Corporal in Eggelbrock, Luxembourg. We know he saw active service but details are now sketchy. In 1925 he immigrated to Canada.



My father was born in the United States and immigrated to Canada with his parents when he was a young child. He joined UNT in September 1943, and was accepted in active service with R.C.N.V.R. in March of 1944 when he was 18. He served in H.M.C.S. Unicorn; Hunter; Cornwallis; Naden. He was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion in Radville, Saskatchewan and then later in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. My father would later discover that he had been stripped of his American citizenship for serving in the Canadian military.

7 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Thanks for sharing the fascinating stories of your family's history. It is so important that we always remember people like your family members.

I have added you on my blogroll.

Allison said...

That's quite a fascinating history, Toccata. None of my grandparents ever served in the Wars. I always enjoyed Remembrance Day while at school, and the veterans would come in and talk with us. Its important for us not to forget.

Toccata said...

Thanks Barbara. I'm going to try and get mine up and running tomorrow.

Allison, I suspect that is because you are so young. I bet my parents are older than your grandparents! I refuse to believe I'm older than your mom. Hmm, I could be! I'm sorry to think I could have a kid your age kind of freaks me out.

SlayGirl said...

Wow. I have also had family that has served in the military. Thanks for this post. I was particularly struck by the names Hamilton and Hammy. My last name is Hamilton and my fathers nick name was Hammy. Irrelevant to the post but thought it was worth a mention.

Toccata said...

Hey there Slaygirl. I know my grandfather's name came from his mother's family name. Hey, we're practically related! Ha ha.

SlayGirl said...

That is what I thought.

mellowlee said...

What a great post! I think it's marvelous that you know so much about your family's history.